Liposuction is a surgical procedure designed to selectively eliminate localized areas of excess fat around the body. Also referred to as liposculpture, this popular body enhancement option can benefit individuals seeking to contour their physique through precise and targeted fat removal. Many pockets of fat around the body are resistant to diet and exercise, creating frustration for people unable to see the results of their toning efforts come to fruition. For these problem areas, liposuction can be a solution to eliminate stubborn fat and achieve the desired aesthetic outcome.
As an effective method of selective fat reduction, liposuction can be performed on many different areas of the body, including the abdomen, arms, thighs, and flanks, among others. Board-certified plastic surgeon Geoffrey Leber, MD achieves beautiful and natural-looking results with the liposuction procedure at his Boston practice by working with patients to develop a personalized treatment plan designed to meet their unique needs.
While liposuction can sculpt the body for a more defined figure, this is not a procedure intended for weight loss. The best candidates for surgery are at or near their ideal weight, with localized areas of fat accumulation. The most successful results often come from patients with good skin elasticity—this means that the skin has the ability to contract and tighten once excess fat has been removed. Other considerations for liposuction may include:
- You are in relatively good health to undergo surgery
- You have no medical conditions that may jeopardize a successful healing process
- You have minimal scarring and stretch marks in the treated areas
- You have a body mass index (BMI) that is less than 35
These factors can all affect an optimal procedural outcome. During a consultation, Dr. Leber will review a patient’s medical history, ask about desires and expectations for surgery, and examine their skin tissue anatomy to assess whether liposuction can fulfill their goals. For individuals with poor skin elasticity and lax musculature in their abdominal region in addition to excess fat, a liposuction combined with a tummy tuck procedure may be more ideal to simultaneously remove excess fat and tighten sagging skin and muscles. This comprehensive surgery can also achieve beautiful results for a leaner and more youthful body appearance.
There are a number of techniques used in the liposuction procedure, each with their own respective differences and advantages. The various approaches used in liposuction may include:
- Suction-Assisted Liposuction (SAL)— a standard method of liposuction that utilizes tiny incisions to suction out excess fatty tissue in targeted areas of the body.
- Tumescent Liposuction— gently suctions out excess fat to create an even contour. A solution of medications designed to minimize blood loss is administered to the treated areas with the goal of decreased swelling and a smoother recovery.
- Power-Assisted Liposuction (PAL)— utilizes rapid vibrations to disrupt fat cells for gentle and efficient removal. Fat can typically be removed faster using this approach, potentially resulting in a speedier recovery period relative to other techniques.
- Laser-Assisted Liposuction (LAL)— utilizes advanced laser technology to break down fat cells for easier removal. This technique is known to benefit individuals with more skin laxity, as it stimulates collagen production and skin contraction following surgery.
- Ultrasound-Assisted Liposuction (UAL)— utilizes sonic energy in complement to other liposuction techniques to liquefy fat cells for easier removal. This method is often effective for removing fat from fibrous areas of the body, and can minimize blood loss during the procedure.
Each technique is designed to achieve exceptional results that appear natural. Dr. Leber has extensive experience utilizing all of these approaches, and can determine the most optimal method of performing liposuction according to a patient’s unique needs.
Below are a few cases from our extensive gallery, click here to view more.
Recovery and Results
Following surgery, patients may be asked to wear a compression garment in order to minimize swelling and bruising in the treated areas. Any residual swelling and bruising generally diminishes as recovery progresses. Discomfort can be managed with oral pain medication. Many individuals require at least one week of healing time before they return to work and normal activities; however, the length of recovery varies according to how many areas were treated and other details of a patient’s unique treatment plan.
The results of liposuction are immediately apparent, but typically improve as swelling dissipates. Patients generally notice a more contoured, slimmer, and sleeker look in the treated area. Dr. Leber’s refined techniques can make any residual scarring as minimal as possible. The final cosmetic outcome usually unfolds in the weeks following the procedure. Through maintenance of a healthy body weight and exercise regimen, the results of liposuction can be very long-lasting. Our before-and-after photo gallery showcases a number of beautiful results from individuals who were able to achieve their aesthetic ideal with liposuction performed by Dr. Leber.
For more information about liposuction, or to schedule a consultation with Dr. Leber, please contact our Boston-area practice today.