Breast augmentation is a cosmetic procedure designed to add volume to the breasts for an improved shape and increased breast fullness. For women who would like to enhance the size, shape, and proportions of their breasts or who wish to achieve a more noticeable breast contour, this procedure may be an ideal solution to create more aesthetic balance in your body stature and attain your desired physique. With comprehensive knowledge on the most optimal implant shapes, sizes, and placement techniques, Dr. Geoffrey Leber—our extensively experienced plastic surgeon—can achieve remarkably natural-looking results by personalizing the procedure according to your unique figure and aesthetic goals.
- Breast Augmentation Candidates
- Breast Augmentation Benefits
- Breast Augmentation with a Lift
- Breast Augmentation Procedure
- Breast Augmentation Recovery
Who is a Candidate for Breast Augmentation?
Individuals may seek breast augmentation for a number of personal reasons. While some women simply wish to improve their breast appearance, others may pursue the procedure as part of breast reconstruction after mastectomy or tumor removal. Whatever your unique concerns may be, Dr. Leber goes to great lengths to ensure the cosmetic outcome of breast augmentation meets your surgical goals and will work with you through every step of the process to actualize your aesthetic ideal.
In general, common reasons to consider surgical breast augmentation include:
- To increase breast volume for an improved silhouette
- To create more symmetry between both breasts or to balance a difference in breast size
- To correct cosmetic changes in the breasts caused by pregnancy and nursing
- To reconstruct a natural breast appearance following cancer removal surgery
- To revise a previous breast surgery
Good candidates for the procedure have similar cosmetic goals to those listed above while maintaining realistic expectations for the final outcome. Additionally, those interested in breast enhancement should have no debilitating medical conditions that may disrupt their recovery period. During a careful consultation, Dr. Leber will review your medical history, listen to your unique concerns, and ultimately help you determine whether breast augmentation is right for you.
What Can Breast Augmentation Do for Me?
While the benefits yielded by a breast augmentation typically vary according to each patient’s cosmetic goals, the procedure can generally:
- Add fullness and volume to the breasts for an enhanced body contour
- Allow a breast size more proportionate to one’s body stature
- Create more symmetry between both breasts
- Improve the breast shape
- Revise a previous breast surgery
- Reconstruct a natural-looking breast appearance
Breast Augmentation + Lift
Although a breast augmentation can largely enhance the breasts’ appearance, the surgery is not designed to correct breast sag that may result from genetics, gravity, pregnancy, or nursing. Women who experience breast sag as a result of increased skin laxity or a flattened upper breast pole may still be able to reach their cosmetic goals with a breast lift with implants. Medically referred to as a breast augmentation mastopexy, this procedure combines the benefits yielded by both a breast lift and a breast augmentation for comprehensive aesthetic improvement. Plus, the recovery period for both surgeries is generally the same. For the right candidate, the procedure can increase the volume of the breasts while elevating their position on the chest wall to minimize a sagging appearance and enhance breast projection.
How is Breast Augmentation Performed?
During the surgical process, you will work with Dr. Leber to determine the ideal implant type and size, as well as the most beneficial location for the implant and the incision. The implant can be placed either over or under the pectoral (chest) muscle, each location having its own distinct advantages depending on your unique needs. Generally, placement over the chest muscle is better suited for women with sufficient breast skin and tissue to provide proper coverage for the implants’ edges. In contrast, individuals with thin skin tissue may benefit more from placement under the muscle, as this approach can allow adequate implant coverage and may decrease the risk of scar tissue formation (known as capsular contracture) when compared to an over-the-muscle technique. Dr. Leber prefers to place the implant under the pectoral muscle because it generally provides greater support, and the likelihood of skin rippling and capsular contracture is minimized.
Finding the Right Fit for Breast Implants
With patient safety and satisfaction as his top priorities, Dr. Leber works diligently to create the best aesthetic outcome possible. Our practice offers a number of useful tools that can help you decide the most optimal implant size and type. Your breast implant options will include:
- Silicone: While both choices can allow results that appear natural, silicone implants have a distinct advantage over saline implants for patients who have less tissue to cover the implants. Silicone implants feel softer and are less likely to have visible wrinkling and/or rippling than saline implants.
- Saline: Saline implants are composed of a saline solution housed inside of the implant shell. This option has the advantage of being filled after insertion above/below the chest muscle, typically resulting in a smaller incision scar. Additionally, in the rare event that the implant ruptures, the saline is absorbed harmlessly into the rest of the body.
During the consultation process, there are several ways that Dr. Leber can help you determine which cup size is best for your figure and allow you to visualize the potential cosmetic result:
- 3D Imaging—Our practice utilizes VECTRA® XT 3D body imaging technology, a valuable tool that renders a high-resolution, three-dimensional image of how you could look with different breast sizes. This can allow you to preview the potential outcome of your breast enhancement and see the possible results from every angle.
- Implant Sizers—Additionally, you will be able to try on a variety of implant sizes in our office to get a feel for which option provides an ideal look and fit. This can give you a realistic visualization of what your new body contour may look like after surgery.
- Photos—It is often helpful to look through before-and-after photos of previous breast augmentation patients with similar body proportions to yours. Our photo gallery includes hundreds of patients’ results sorted by height, weight, and bra size, providing a comprehensive index of which implant sizes can offer the best outcome according to your body type.
Choosing the right implant size and type can be challenging, but rest assured that Dr. Leber will use many resources to provide you with a realistic idea of your new breast appearance prior to undergoing surgery.
The Breast Augmentation Procedure
The best incision location will depend on which implants you select and your unique anatomy. With your preferences in mind, Dr. Leber will use the incision that can provide the most natural-looking results with the least amount of scarring. The procedure is usually performed on an outpatient basis under general anesthesia and takes less than one hour to complete, depending on your treatment plan. After Dr. Leber places the incision, he will carefully position the implant and subsequently close the incision. If you are undergoing a combination procedure, such as a breast lift with implants, Dr. Leber will walk you through every step of the process prior to surgery.
Below are a few cases from our extensive gallery, click here to view more.
What is Recovery for Breast Augmentation Like?
After surgery, patients will be in recovery under observation by our staff for a short amount of time. Based on the details of your treatment plan, you can generally return home with a friend or loved one on the same day to continue recovering from the comfort of your own surroundings. There will likely be some initial bruising and swelling, but any discomfort can typically be managed well with oral pain medication. While individuals can usually return to light work duties within a few days and resume normal activities within one to two weeks, high-impact aerobic exercise should be avoided for three to four weeks. The aesthetic outcome of breast augmentation will typically improve as the implants settle and your healing process progresses.
To schedule a consultation or to learn more about a breast augmentation performed by Dr. Leber, please contact our practice today.